May 7, 2007

Teaching Music to Talented Children

When I was small, I had an urge to play music. I was an unusual child, brimming with natural musical talent.

In 7th grade, I was first chair flute in the band and first chair violin in the orchestra. Two different periods of school were taken by my musical interests. After school, I practiced about an hour every day, without my parents ever urging me to do so. My natural inclinations were to go to my bedroom and practice my instruments. I felt gratification from my curious mind and natural abilities.

Then in 9th grade, in high school, I had to choose between flute and violin; between band and orchestra. Equally skilled at both, I didn't know what to do. Then someone told me that if I continued with the band, I could be in the marching band...play at football games...march down the street in parades...decision made.

In the 9th grade I became 1st chair flute. The other girls in the band hated me. The Senior girls had, especially, been counting on their turn at first chair (where you are the designated soloist). When I went to regional band festivals, I always came out the "command performance" winner, the highest honor possible for my solos. Sometimes I didn't even have an accompanist.

There were no higher achievements possible at that level....and yet, my parents did not bother to send me to a flute teacher. I taught myself, flawed fingering techniques were the result. I taught myself about as much as a self-taught student can do, and when it came time for scholarship tryouts in college bands, I did not prevail. I did not have the advanced techniques necessary to succeed at the college level due to lack of training.

Today I believe that my lack of training is negligent by my parents. I had the innate talent to be brilliant at flute as a career. What happened to me is that after an upbringing where I was always the "star", adulthood and real life hit me like a ton of bricks. I could not quite understand a world where I was ordinary, where people were not there to applaud me, but rather the bill collectors and struggles of a person on a small income were my harsh reality.

My conclusion is that if a child is to be introduced to the arts, of whatever nature they may be, the fullest extent of training must be given. It is tragic for gifted children to expend so much effort and energy only to fail because the training was not there. Unrealistic expectations can be given a gifted young performer by gracious and well-meaning audiences.

No comments: