Feb 6, 2009

"The Office" Losing Its Punch


My favorite show, "The Office", was on last night. The unique personality traits, running jokes, familiar facial expressions and absurd reactions to situations make this show top notch. However, in 2009 the episodes seem to be lacking that indescribable something that makes a show funny.

In the most recent episode, Michael, the King of faux pas and absurd reactions, is loudly and obnoxiously commenting on the "huge" belly of a pregnant woman, and Pam is giving her "what a jerk" reaction to the camera. It used to be funny. It's just worn out.

But Jim and Dwight still make me laugh. Dwight himself is a running joke, but one that will live on forever. Even his name (Dwight Shrute) still funny. Jim has that famous "goofy smirk", which is still appropriate and amusing.

Lesser characters in "The Office" are interesting to watch, but I don't see anyone that I couldn't live without.

I guess, as I write this article, I am seeing that Michael himself is the problem for me. He's just not fresh and funny any more.

No comments: