Dec 30, 2008

College Degrees Overrated

College degrees, unless in technical fields like engineering or chemistry, are pointless in the job-seekers' market. Society has somehow made a degree a hiring requirement for many jobs, when the education provided by getting the degree has little to do with the job.

Much more important is learning ability. Employers should be seeking people that know how to learn a job quickly and efficiently. What does it matter if that person flunked history or humanities courses? The question is, not if they achieved the degree, but if they demonstrated the ability to learn and achieve goals.

I was employed in the 1990's in the rapidly growing cellular phone business. I had worked for 18 years, going to night school mostly, to get my Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration. I was hired as an administrative Assistant (a female thing?). As usual, I noticed that I was more capable than most of my bosses (who did not have degrees). However, in 1995, someone gave me the opportunity for a promotion. It had absolutely nothing to do with my degree. I had to demonstrate the ability to learn and achieve goals.

No comments: